Sunday, January 27, 2013

Healthy Girl 365, Days 26 & 27 - A Piece Of Me & A Wisely Chosen Snack

Day 26: There are going to be days in the project that I won't have anything healthy to post about. I'm hoping those days are going to be few and far between, but Day 26 was one of those days. A friend suggested that on such days I begin sharing my journey with you, pieces of me and a story of how I got here. So here it is, part one...
I was 9 years old when I realised that I was heavier than my class mates. We went on an excursion to the zoo, and in the African Safari section you could sit on a scale and it told you which African animal your weight most closely matched. All of my classmates generally weighed in as the same animal - I can't for the life of me remember what that animal was. But when I sat on the scale, I was one animal up from them - a cheetah. At the time, I thought that was pretty cool because cheetahs were a favourite of mine. But when my younger sister came home from school some time later and announced that the biggest, chubbiest boy in her class weighed in at the same weight I did, my brain started ticking over, and weighing myself suddenly became a ritual. I was 10 years old when I decided to go on my first diet. The sad thing is, I wasn't even overweight back then. I was one of the tallest kids in my grade at school, so it made sense that I would weigh a little more than most of my friends. When I was 12, the family doctor prescribed me to be within a healthy weight range for my height. But my "overweight" mentality had already kicked in, and these things can become self-fulfilling prophecies...

First let me say, this might actually by the worst photo of anything that I've ever taken, ever. Can you even tell what's packed in that bag? All will be revealed...

Day 27: Today I had a movie date with my mama! I think we were the only two people left on the planet who hadn't yet seen Les Miserables, so we decided it was high-time we fixed that! As we walked into the cinema, the salty smell of popcorn hit me in the nose in a delicious way, and Mum was craving a choc-top icecream, but we manned-up and got in the "tickets only" line which meant no Candy Bar for us! I had packed myself some cherries (a fave Summer fruit of mine!) and an iced bottle of water at home before we left, and not only did I therefore save calories but I also saved me some dollars! Cherries are a pretty great movie snack by the way, I thoroughly recommend them!

No comments:

Post a Comment