Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Healthy Girl 365, Day 8 - Farewell, Coffee!

Well. This is a sorry sight. The photo above is the coffee I made for Chris this morning. Normally, you would see a second matching cup right there next to it... but not today. Or tomorrow. Or even the day after that. In order to slowly work toward a healthier lifestyle, I've decided to choose just one thing to give up each month, and this month it's coffee. You should know that I'm only a 1-2 cups per day kind of girl, and I never drink it in the afternoon, but I want to stop before it becomes a full-blown addiction. Aside from being addictive, coffee can also be pretty unhealthy (especially the way I have it, with plenty of milk and a teaspoon of sugar). Coffee apparently has some health benefits - a few websites I checked out say it lowers the risk of some cancers and type-2 diabetes. But my research has come up with more benefits for those who give it up. Though delicious, coffee can be responsible for:
- Restless sleep
- Sluggishness and lack of productivity (except during a coffee buzz!)
- A less-than fabulous smile (coffee stains teeth!)
- High blood pressure
- Increased anxiety
- Depression
- Slower metabolism

While I'm not saying that everybody should give up coffee, if it's something you might like to look into there's heaps of info out there! A couple of websites I found helpful were Give Up Coffee and Healthy Happier You!

I'm really going to miss my regular cups of coffee in the morning... Have you considered giving up anything to boost your health?

1 comment: