Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Healthy Girl 365, Day 3 - The Green Smoothie

Yum! My sister Hannah recently put me onto the idea of green smoothies. Basically it's a fruit smoothie, made any way you want, with spinach added. I gave it a go for the first time this morning - mine has banana, peach, yoghurt, a bit of honey, a splash of milk, and a few mint leaves, plus a handful of spinach. Not only is it completely delicious, I've been doing a bit of research this morning and I wanted to let you know of some of the health benefits:
- Spinach reduces the risk of ovarian, bladder, liver and lung cancer
- Spinach has loads of Vitamin K in it, which is really good for your bones
- Spinach decreases your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure

Because I'm a green smoothie first timer, I don't think I added enough spinach so if you try one yourself, aim for it to be a bit greener than mine! (Google Image "green smoothie" for a better idea) Don't like spinach? Don't worry, because you can't even taste it!

For more in-depth info on the benefits of green smoothies, I found this site helpful.

1 comment:

  1. When you get a chance, try exloring Kale and Spirulina too. They'll certainly make a green smoothie. And Kale chips are the bomb! Superfoods ftw!

    ReplyDelete