Thursday, February 7, 2013

Healthy Girl 365, Day 36 - Try Something New Tuesday

Yes, I'm aware that it's not actually a Tuesday but because I keep falling behind, this blog post is all about Tuesday, a day on which I tried something new - chickpeas, or garbanzo beans (who knew they were the same thing!?) I mean, I've tried chickpeas before; maybe twice in my life. But lately I've been really curious about incorporating them, as well as trendy things like quinoa and polenta, into my diet. So on Tuesday night I cracked my very first can and made Jerk Chicken with Chickpea and Carrot Slaw from Master Chef Magazine (and apparently, Taste!). Guys. Why have I believed for all these years that I don't like chickpeas?! Before cooking the meal, I shook the can of chickpeas in Chris's face and declared "I'm sorry, but I'm giving chickpeas a go". And he said "Why are you sorry? I love chickpeas!" So apparently I'm the last in the family to catch onto the greatness. Call me a slow learner.
As for the recipe I linked to, it was super delicious and perfect for Summer - but I would recommend skipping the 1/4 cup olive oil in the slaw - there's already quite a bit of oil in the jerk sauce/dressing and you don't need to add more than maybe a tablespoon. Yes, a tip. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment